In case your are unfamiliar with the band Dodsferd, it's the one man project of multi-instrumentalist Wrath, a pretty sick and twisted individual who nontheless knows how to crank out some raw, old school styled black metal, mixed with a little bit of raucous Motorhead-meets-Venom early 80's styled heavy-n-greasy rock. One glance at the song titles and you are pretty sure of what you are in store for here on Cursing Your Will to Love-putrid, angry, Satanic, hate filled anthems of raw and unrelenting black metal, each track littered with pounding blast beats, raging tremelo picked guitar riffs, and Wrath's garbled, broken-glass soaked shrieks. Most of the songs here are very lengthy, crossing into the 5-9 minute range, and surprisingly hold up pretty well with dabbles of atmopshere and extended instrumental passages. It's hard not to take notice of the catchy riffs of "Failure Was Described As Religion, As Heresy", a real satisfying number that recalls both Mayhem and early Immortal. Other highlights include the majestic yet crushing "I Was Challenged to Enter the Gates of Blasphemy", complete with elastic bass lines, tortured vocal screams, and hypnotic guitar riffs, and the two near-10 minute epics "Cursing Your Will to Live" and "Your Death, My Propitiation".
Cursing Your Will to Live is not going to reinvent the black metal wheel, and it certainly won't be for those looking for more melodic fair, but if your thing is raw and savage extreme music, give this one a try.
1) All of Them Are Dead
2) Hypocritic Shitfuckers Still Breathing
3) You Called It Resurrection; I Call It Fairytale For Human Parasites. Your Kind!
4) Failure Was Described As Religion, As Heresy
5) I Was Challenged to Enter the Gates of Blasphemy
6) Under a Broken Cross, I Buried Your World
7) Standing At the Ashes of a Forsaken Kingdom
8) Cursing Your Will to Live
9) Your Death, My Propitiation
10) I Kept Standing With Disgust