It's no surprise that the track list for this reissue of a tribute to KISS pulls exclusively from their '70s repertoire, an era almost universally acclaimed as their strongest. Deadline Music Records are now putting this back out there, and the album contains quite a cast talent who offer their interpretations of KISS classics here on Pure Fire-The Ultimate KISS Tribute, a cast that includes musicians & vocalists from acts such as Twisted Sister, Styx, Toto, Winger, Motorhead, King's X, Slaughter, Mr. Bog, Fozzy, Poison, and many, many more. Originally released in 2004 as Spin the Bottle, Pure Fire now features new artwork and a bonus DVD with interview segments with many of the participants, including those who have passed away since the albums initial release.
Dee Snider really wows during his take on "Detroit Rock City", helped out mightily by Dead Daisies guitar shredder Doug Aldrich, and Styx legend Tommy Shaw offers up a melodic vocal take on the classic "Love Fun" alongside Toto guitar virtuoso Steve Lukather and bass icon Tim Bogert. Mark Slaughter tackles "Cold Gin", with fiery guitar licks from Ryan Roxy & Robben Ford (great to hear the blues/jazz legend firing off some molten metal solos!), and Fozzy/wrestling star Chris Jericho jumps in on the fun for 'King of the Night Time World", supported by his Fozzy mate Rich Ward on guitars and a rhythm section of Mike Inez & Fred Coury. Kip Winger was a great choice for "I Want You", as he delivers both the opening melodic section and the more aggressive verse & chorus with his always impeccable delivery, Mr. Big guitar hero Paul Gilbert tossing in some molten lead work and the always reliable Greg Bissonette thunderous on the drums. Great call to get The Melvins Buzz Osborne for lead vocals on the doom laden "God of Thunder", Bruce Kulick providing the scorching guitar work and drum legend Carmine Appice lending his heavy stick work. The late Mike Porcaro (Toto) adds his booming bass to "Calling Dr. Love", and another fallen hero, Lemmy, provides lead vocals to "Shout It Out Loud", giving one of the more unique interpretations here, guitar work courtesy of Bob Kulick and Jennifer Batten. Dug Pinnick appears on a crushing take on "Parasite", Kulick again showing up to lend some massive riffs and wild solos, LA Guns singer Phil Lewis and Gilby Clarke make "Strutter" a hair metal anthem, and the always dependable Robin McCauley teams with Poison's CC Deville, ex-Blue Murder bassist Tony Franklin, and drum legend Ansley Dunbar for a spirited take on "I Stole Your Love".
Though some renditions are obviously more successful than others, this is still a fun collection of KISS classics recorded by a wide assortment of musicians & singers across multiple musical genres. If you didn't check this out back in 2004, no reason not to investigate this new reissue.
1. Detroit Rock City - Dee Snider, Doug Aldrich, Marco Mendoza, John Tempesta
2. Love Gun - Tommy Shaw, Steve Lukather, Tim Bogert, Jay Schellen
3. Cold Gin - Mark Slaughter, Ryan Roxy, Robben Ford, Phil Soussan, Steve Riley
4. King of the Night Time World - Chris Jericho, Rich Ward, Mike Inez, Fred Coury
5. I Want You - Kip Winger, Paul Gilbert, Greg Bissonette
6. God of Thunder - Buzz Osbourne, Bruce Kulick, Blasko, Carmine Appice
7. Calling Dr. Love - Page Hamilton, Mike Porcaro, Greg Bissonette
8. Shout It Out Loud - Lemmy Kilmister, Jennifer Batten, Bruce Kulick, Samantha Maloney
9. Parasite - Dug Pinnick, Bob Kulick, John Alderete, Vinnie Colaiuta
10. Strutter - Phil Lewis, Gilby Clarke, Jeff Pilson, Bobby Rock
11. Stole Your Love - Robin McAuley, C.C. Deville, Tony Franklin, Aynsley Dunbar