Various Artists: Tonite Lets All Make Love In London (Film Soundtrack)
Oh, the 'summer of love'. I was only two years old at the time so do not have a firsthand account of the comings and goings of the scene, only the music left behind that has formed an indelible imprint in my mind.
Peter Whitehead's film Tonite Lets All Make Love In London examines the swinging social scene in London during the late '60s. The soundtrack includes a total of twenty-three tracks some of which are interviews from those people who lived it such as Mick Jagger, Michael Caine, David Hockney, Lee Marvin, Andrew Loog Oldham, Genevieve, Edna O'Brien and Julie Christie. There are also a number of musical selections most notably Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive". The disc opens with a three minute snippet of the aforementioned song although one must remember this is not the version that appears on The Piper at the Dates of Dawn although it is similar. This is very early Floyd, quite rough around the edges but just as endearing all the same. I only wish the full sixteen minute version was included which has been on previous issues of the soundtrack. The very English "The Changing of the Guard" by The Marquis Of Kensington, consisting Robert Wace, The Kinks manager at the time and record producer Mike Leander and "Night Time Girl" by the vocal duo Twice As Much are pretty good '6os pop songs. Chris Farlowe's soulful pop tune "Out Of Time" is a nice listen as is the short extract from "Interstellar Overdrive", the last song on the disc.
There are a couple of problems I have with this recording. First, some of the songs and interview clips are so short the album seems quite choppy and never really gets into a groove. Of course, this is quite common with movie soundtracks. Second, I would have preferred the interview bits and songs kept separate from each other as it becomes rather distracting to the music. That said, this is still an important document that speaks of the social culture evolving towards the end of the '60s.
1. Pink Floyd – Interstellar Overdrive (soundtrack version)
2. Michael Caine – Interview 1
3. The Marquis Of Kensington – The Changing Of The Guard (soundtrack version)
4. Twice As Much – Night Time Girl (soundtrack version)
5. Genevieve – Interview
6. Chris Farlowe – Out Of Time (soundtrack version)
7. Edna O'Brien – Interview
8. Pink Floyd – Interstellar Overdrive – Extract 1 (soundtrack version)
9. Andrew Loog Oldham – Interview 1
10. Vashti – Winter Is Blue – Extract 1 (soundtrack version)
11. Andrew Loog Oldham – Interview 2
12. Vashti – Winter Is Blue – Reprise (soundtrack version)
13. Mick Jagger – Interview
14. Julie Christie – Interview
15. Michael Caine – Interview 2
16. Chris Farlowe – Paint It Black (soundtrack version)
17. Alan Aldridge – Interview
18. Chris Farlowe – Paint It Black – Reprise (soundtrack version)
19. David Hockney – Interview
20. Small Faces – Here Come The Nice (soundtrack version)
21. Lee Marvin – Interview
22. Pink Floyd – Interstellar Overdrive – Extract 2 (soundtrack version)
23. Allen Ginsberg – Tonite Let's All Make Love In London
Added: January 18th 2018
Reviewer: Jon Neudorf
Related Link: Label's Official Site
[ Printer Friendly Page ]
[ Send to a Friend ]
[ Back to the Reviews Index | Post Comment ]
© 2004 Sea Of Tranquility
|For information regarding where to send CD promos and advertising, please see our FAQ page.|
If you have questions or comments, please Contact Us.
Please see our Policies Page for Site Usage, Privacy, and Copyright Policies.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all other content © Sea of Tranquility
SoT is Hosted by SpeedSoft.com