A 78-minutes opus of lowest common denominator humor, Dick Delicious and the Tasty Testicles' (or DDTT) latest album Vulgar Display of Obscurity seems to serve only two purposes: to offend and to amuse. And if that is really the purpose, then mission accomplished.
The lyrics are primarily humorous, but in a vulgar and offensive – very politically incorrect – fashion, and, in one fell swoop, DDTT mange to insult mentally retarded people, homeless people, lawyers, drug addicts, Jews, Nazis, people from Georgia, people who eat peanuts, The Black Eyed Peas, fans of The Black Eyed Peas, gay men, gay women, mentally retarded women, women with breast implants, women who are victims of rape, AIDS victims, viagra users, anally violated men, inmates, probationees, coprophiliacs, groupies, rocks stars, and themselves.
Politically incorrect and tasteless though it is, Vulgar Display of Obscurity has a lot of quite funny moments. Being able to appreciate the humor in this album does presuppose that the listener is not faint-at-heart and not too sensitive when it comes to political correctness (or lack thereof), because then the listener will just end up offended and disgusted will all the low brow d*ck, sh*t, f*ck, b*tch, d*ngleberry and Bl*ck ***d P**s jokes on this album. While I do find the lyrics quite funny most of the time, I think the 78s minutes of over-the-top (or below-the-bottom, perhaps) is perhaps a bit too much, and I kind of become immune towards the end, whenever I listen to the album in its entirety – and, since it is actually a concept album dealing with the hardships Dick Delicious who's been convicted for viagrivated assaults on women, or surprise sex as his defense lawyer calls it, you kind of have to listen to it in its entirety to get the full picture. While there are obscenities aplenty, the I tend to find the more language-based jokes the funniest, like the many bizarre rhymes and punning expressions like "viagrivated assaults", "feed the homeless (to each other)" and so on.
So, the humor may be the lowest common denominator kind of t*ts, *ss, and Bl*ck ***d P**s humor, but it is funny nonetheless – if you can take it (personally, I find all the below-the-belt punched directed at The Black Eyed Peas extremely funny). It seems that the humor has outweighed the music performance, which strikes me as a bit sloppy and untight at times (perhaps that is intended – because there are several things on the album that suggest solid musicianship), and the production also has a very raw DIY-feel to it. In terms of style, DDTT basically combine heavy metal with punk rock, and while some tracks are more in the crossover thrash territory, others are more akin to classic metal – and others again poke fun at alternative rock (such as 'Good Lovin' Gone Brown') and melodic epic rock (such as 'The Oder of the Floater' whose Iron Maiden-like bridge I find extremely funny).
There are also some high-profile guest stars on the album. Among these are Ruyter Suys from Nashville Pussy (who is now a regular member of DDTT), Brent Hinds, Bill Kelliher and Troy Sanders from Mastodon, and Kevin Sharp from Brutal Truth.
If you are easily offended, stay away from this album - go listen to The Black Eyed Peas or something. If you love obscene and politically incorrect humor, you are in for a treat.
1. The Earth Vs. Dick Delicious – (skit)
2. Viagrivated Assault
3. A Message From The Makers Of Ciagra – (skit)
4. Beer, Shit, AIDS, and Bad Drugs
5. A Band With Benefits? (skit)
6. Nothing Says Loving Like a Brutal Dutch Oven
7. I Won The Drug War
8. Al Speaks on The Meaning Of Life? – (skit)
9. The Oder Of The Floater
10.I Wanna Kill the Black Eyed Peas
11. I Wanna Kill the Black Eyed Peas (slight return) – (skit)
12. Pillow Talk - (skit)
13. Post Coital Cuddling Syndrome
14. A Message From The Makers of Supress-a-Cuddle – (skit)
15. What flavor is this? – (skit)
16. Feed The Homeless (To Each Other)
17. I'm From Georgia – (skit)
18. Retarded Girls
19. Got Meth? – (skit)
20. Ghetto Biscuits
21. A Friend With Cocaine Is A Good Friend (Until The Cocaine Runs Out)
22. A Nazi And A Jew Bond Over Blow – (skit)
23. Dick Vs. The Department Of Corrections – (skit)
25. Yo, Funbags! – (skit)
26. Mandatory Breast Augmentation
27. Fashionable Diarrhea – (skit)
28. Groupies Make The World Go 'Round!
29. Hugh Sharts In Cincinnati – (skit)
30. Clinching When I Should Have Been Pinching
31. I Shit My Pants for this? – (skit)
32. Good Lovin' Gone Brown
33. Dick and Hugh Decorate Their Shoes - (skit)
34. Jagermeister (It's Not For Breakfast Anymore)
35. Hormones In The Beef
36. Don't Want No Fingers In My Butt
38. A Band With Benefits (Slight Return) – (skit)
39. Dilation and Extraction
40. How To Clear A Room In 5:44