It doesn't get much better than this for jazz lovers, especially those who like smooth and sophisticated sounds that eminated from the East Coast. While many of the West Coast musicians had the "swagger", those that toiled in the East Coast bars, clubs, and concert halls throughout the 50's and 60's had that certain charm to the style of jazz that they played. This first volume in the East Coast Jazz Shots series from Music Video Distributors is an amazing collection of vintage and archival footage from some of the greats of the classic era in the history of American jazz.
Kicking off with a few cuts from the legendary Bill Evans, including the lovely "I Loves You Porgy", things get cookin' from there with a few rare performances of the Ahmad Jamal Trio, a stunning yet brief "Blue Monk" from the Thelonius Monk Trio (very rare, and reason enough to get this set), a smoldering sax workout from Johnny Griffin on the near 14-minute "Monk's Dream (a great rendition of a classic song), a few tunes from Oscar Peterson, a trhee song selection from one of the father's of jazz, Duke Ellington, and two extended pieces from one of jazz-fusion/free-jazz/avant-garde's influential musicians, Keith Jarrett. Look carefully during the two Jarrett numbers "Tagore" and "Passin' Tru" and you will see a young Jack DeJohnette on the drum kit. Even after all this great footage, the real treat is the wonderful "Mack the Knife" performed by the master of the Hammond organ, Jimmy Smith.
Despite any real extras or bonus features ( a few interviews from prominent & contemporary East Coast jazz musicians would have been a great inclusion) , this DVD is a jazz lovers dream, and a must have for your collection.
- Up With the Lark-Bill Evans Trio (6:14)
- I Loves You Porgy-Bil Evans Trio (3:08)
- Darn That Dream-Ahmad Jamal Trio (5:07)
- Ahmad Blues-Ahmad Jamal Trio (4:00)
- My Old Flame-Phil Woods Quartet (9;:46)
- Blue Monk-Thelonius Mink Trio (2:56)
- Monk's Dream-Johnny Griffin (13:38)
- Place St. Henri-Oscar Peterson (2:19)
- Moon Indigo-Duke Ellington (4:23)
- Sophisticated Lady-Duke Ellington (3:33)
- Take the A Train-Duke Ellington (2:01)
- Tagore-Keith Jarrett (7:35)
- Passin' Tru-Keith Jarrett (12:42)
- Mack the Knife-Jimmy Smith Trio (6:17)
- Yours Is My Heart Alone-Oscar Peterson Trio (5:52)-bonus
- Untitled Blues-Roland Kirk (2:27)-bonus