Sea Of Tranquility



The Web Source for Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal & Jazz-Fusion
  Search   in       
Main Menu

Who's Online
There are currently 33 guests online.

Google Ads





Vygr: Hypersleep

Hypersleep, the newest LP by Vygr (pronounced "Voyager"), is an abysmal record. An hour's worth of "music," it's a repetitive, brutal, unoriginal, ugly, and pointless excursion into thrash/sludge/doom metal. In fact, listening to this record is like listening to an escaped convict regurgitate repeatedly.

The quintet hails from Boston, MA and proudly combines the gloomy aesthetics of "Cult of Luna, Mare, and Neurosis with downtuned riffs reminiscent of Crowbar and Old Man Gloom." While Hypersleep is their first full length album, Vygr released a self-titled EP in 2008. If this new LP is the result of years of growing and perfecting, I can't imagine how awful their earlier material was.

In essence, Hypersleep is an emulation of the most barbaric side of Mastodon coupled with some spacey segues. Just about every song sounds like Blood Mountain's "The Wolf Is Loose," except that Vygr produce simplistic noise instead of brilliant frenzy and hypnotic riffs. Some of the transitions are interesting, and they do add some variety, but they only make up about 10% of the album. The remaining 90% is a total waste of time and energy.

Hypersleep is a mediocre album with almost no redeeming qualities. It contains nothing but genre clichés and shameless emulation. When the most interesting parts of an album are the moments between songs, you know there's a problem. Vygr haven't created anything new, and really, anyone interested in music like this should just listen to Mastodon's Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye. They're fantastic.


Track Listing
1. Solar
2. Flares
3. Orbital Hallucinations
4. Galactic Garbage
5. -
6. The Hidden
7. Shapeshifters
8. Unmoved Mover
9. Path to the Unknown
10. Event Horizon
11. We Drift
12. A Distant Beacon

Added: August 25th 2011
Reviewer: Jordan Blum
Score:
Related Link: More Information
Hits: 728
Language: english

[ Printer Friendly Page Printer Friendly Page ]
[ Send to a Friend Send to a Friend ]

  

[ Back to the Reviews Index | Post Comment ]




© 2004 Sea Of Tranquility
For information regarding where to send CD promos and advertising, please see our FAQ page.
If you have questions or comments, please Contact Us.
Please see our Policies Page for Site Usage, Privacy, and Copyright Policies.

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all other content © Sea of Tranquility

SoT is Hosted by SpeedSoft.com